Sunday, November 15, 2009

Journal 8 - Week of November 2nd


For this week's creative act and reflection, I created a mix-c.d for my friend.

Here is the playlist:





Empire State of Mind - Jay Z. ft. Alicia Keys
Alleyways - Hey Ocean!
Belief - John Mayer
Simple As - Kid Cudi
How to Disappear Completely - Radiohead
I Want You - Kings of Leon
Optimistic - Radiohead
Thinkin' 'bout You - Norah Jones
Motion Picture Soundtrack - Radiohead
Stop and Stare - OneRepublic
Just Say Yes - Snow Patrol

Seems as though the creative process for these blogs is alternating between challenging and easy. This creative act was a challenge.

The first question that came to mind was the requirement of setting a "mood" for the c.d.

I searched through my music collection and reviewed some of my most favorite albums, only to realize that to categorize them by a single mood to be ludicrous. Here is a prime example of how studying the past work of creators in this art is vital.

So I decided to stay away from setting a specific mood, and I just chose songs that meant something to me, or that moved me. What's particularly interesting is that, while the sound of the playlist is quite varied, the song titles aren't.

After much reflection on the titles of the playlist, I became conscious of how it mad me feel.


Had I subconsciously constructed a mirror of the relationship?


The next obstacle I ran into was the flow of the song. When I listen to an album, I try and listen to the whole thing, because I believe the artist is attempting to paint a picture with the entire album. I didn't want one song to infringe on another's feeling or message.

For example, does Norah Jones' Thinkin' 'bout You stick out far too much in between the two reflective Radiohead songs? Does following John Mayer with a hip hop tune diminish his effect?

These questions made me appreciate the work of music producers.

I feel happy about the playlist. But since I've created it, I have already thought about replacing songs with others. Perhaps I will revisit this work with a clear head and attempt to revise it.


1 comment:

  1. Rob - I finally have been able to read all your blogs. They say so much about you and your creative life. I'm going to enjoy them. I read them to Grandpa this morning and he also is impressed.
    This is such a good thing to do. Talking about your life is good for you. Getting words out - putting thoughts into words - is good for your head. You learn what kind of person you are.
    Blogging is hard. It's hard to keep coming up with topics about which you can say something you want to say. And sometimes we don't want to say anything at all.
    Good work, kid. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete