Saturday, October 17, 2009

Journal 5 - Week of October 12th


This week's creative act strayed away from the norm, atleast for myself. As music is my most natural form of expression, I felt I needed to do something different. I decided to create something visual as apposed to audible. And I found the act was quite liberating.

I wanted to sketch something I felt represented the University life. What image would be in my mind 20 years down the road when I think of my college days?

It wasn't difficult to choose. When I walk out of the Maclauren building (I think thats wrong), I get a great view of our library. Its a stunning shot. Something about its towering stature ruling over the quad makes me very content. And at night time, it has an even bigger effect. The lights make it feel like a beacon to the poor soul's trying to get in and get some books before it closes.

First off, the sketch was done from memory. I took a mental photo and then went inside and did my drawing. Interesting thoughts came into my head as pencil went to paper.

I found myself erasing a lot. Do great artist erase a lot? I feel like when ever I watch that show on t.v with the creepy guy who talks as he paints, he never makes a mistake - its a work of art each time. Is that from hours and hours of practice, or was he just born that way?

I found I was my own worst enemy.

"Thats doesn't look right" and "what kind of tree is that!?"

I was very critical of my sketch. My library looks more like the White House.

There were some proportion problems. For what ever reason, this led me to think about the last time I drew.

Grade school!

This reminded me of some of the first readings we were assigned. Especially the one on the state of the education system. How come art isn't more a part of the POST secondary institution as well? Why aren't we asked to sketch our graphs, molecules and ecosystems?

Are we really at a turning point like Maslow believes?

No comments:

Post a Comment